It may not have been too late when ICANN announced that it would be allowing the registration of custom domain names. So now this would not only be opening the space for custom brand names but also would be opening up the space for various people who think the world is lacking domain names.
For now as it has been specified by ICANN, an organization who wishes to register a top level custom domain has to :
- Pay a registration fee of $185,000 and
- Pay $25,000 annually for renewal
That’s it !
To this Google has sought various of the custom domain names. As it was posted on their official blog this is what they are looking up to:
- Domain such as .google and .youtube, which are the main brands of the company.
- Popular domain which may be used that includes .docs.
- And other domain names such as .lol that may have a high value.
The above news came up in the blog post titled “expanding the Internet Domain space”. Nothing has been posted about these being registered or not till now.
(Via Google Blog)